For lovers of opera, dance, theatre, history, and community.
Volunteers are the heart of all we do! They are ambassadors for Detroit Opera, and the city of Detroit, warmly welcoming patrons from near and far, to the beautiful, 100-year-old Detroit Opera House for an experience they will cherish forever.
Join Detroit Opera’s volunteer community and share your gifts and talents. Have fun and make friends while participating in a multitude of opportunities all supporting Detroit Opera’s mission. Easily sign up for events using our online volunteer portal.
Interested in volunteering at Detroit Opera?
- Be 18 years or older. Part of a school program? 16+; NHS, Key Club, Scouts etc.
- Pass a criminal background check conducted via the Michigan State Police’s ICHAT (Internet Criminal History Access Tool).
- Possess good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willing to volunteer for at least 12 events per year.
- Willing and able to volunteer for a variety of performances including Opera, Dance, Broadway, Detroit Opera Youth Choir, and everything else in between. Remember you will be a volunteer for Detroit Opera not only for the shows themselves.
- Understand and meet the physical requirements of the position. These include but are not limited to climbing up and down stairs, assisting patrons in wheelchairs, standing for long periods of time, and having the ability to work different positions within the theatre. Many aspects of the work we do will require a high level of physical activity. Our volunteers’ safety is one of our highest priorities.
- Have access to and the capability to use a computer or a smartphone. You will complete your application online and register for events online. Without access to a computer, you will not be able to register for events as needed.
- Submit the online volunteer form. Please answer all questions and upload a profile picture.
- Create a username and password for the volunteer portal. The login that you create will be the same one you will use to register for events later with VICNET.
- Once you have submitted the volunteer form, you will receive a confirmation message that it has been received and information regarding the next steps.
- Orientations are conducted four times per year. You must attend an orientation before ushering (even if you have previous experience as an usher at Detroit Opera).
- Once your volunteer form is successfully submitted, you will receive an invitation to attend the upcoming orientation. Please register as soon as possible. If you are unable to attend the orientation date offered and are still interested in volunteering, please let the Volunteer Coordinator know and you will be informed of the next available date.
- Once you have registered for orientation you will be sent detailed instructions regarding parking, where to enter the building and any other pertinent information.
- Once you have attended orientation your status will be updated from ‘Prospective’ to ‘Active’ and you will be able to access the volunteer portal to sign up for events.
Join Detroit Opera Volunteer Association (DOVA)
DOVA provides volunteers the opportunity to be more involved in the overall volunteer experience and the impact they have on the community and culture of Detroit Opera. Members work closely with the DOVA board sharing resources and information, providing service, fundraising, and acting as ambassadors for Detroit Opera and The Detroit Opera House.
DOVA members receive exclusive invites, discounts and more. Annual membership is only: Student $10, Volunteer/Senior $25, Couples $40.
Active Volunteers log into the portal with the links below:
Login with your email (username) and the passcode you created. If you can't remember your username or password, click "Password Reset".
Login with your phone number (no area code).